Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July weekend

I've realized that I've started to get pretty wordy, so I'm gonna try and be less boring. As usual I've updated the photo gallery before getting to posting. So, check out the pictures the the ever increasing region of land that is being represented by the gallery.

Thursday I got to leave work a little early since our team was so scarce for the long weekend. I jogged for over an hour before heading home. Even after waking up on Friday, I had no idea what I was going to do for the 4th, and figured I might be on my own. But, after randomly running into some of the other interns that were still around here, we headed over to the local grocery store and bought a bunch of picnic food.
Adrienne, Nancy, Will, Greg
After hanging out at Pixar for a while and waiting for the brownies to bake, we headed up to park right next to the Berkeley Marina.

There were quite a few people there already, so we hiked up a hill in the center of the park and staked a claim for our blanket. We then enjoyed sandwiches, chips, fresh strawberries and watermelon, vegetables and dip, and still warm brownies. We had some time before the fireworks so we pulled out a soccer ball and my frisbee to enjoy the nice weather and relaxing atmosphere. As it got dark we could see fireworks in the distance pretty much in a full 360 degree view around us. Then finally got to enjoy the display there at the marina. It wasn't near as grand as the San Francisco show we could see across the bay, but it was at least satisfactory. The traffic was horrible trying to get off the peninsula and so we watched youtube videos on Will's iPhone for an hour and a half while we waited.

Saturday wasn't very eventful, I hung out at the apartment by myself all day, then finally got over to Pixar to work out at about 8:30 pm. It was very quite and part of the time I even ran in the dark by myself. It was peaceful and fun.

Last week I was a little bit late to church and so this week I decided to leave early and ended up getting there while the 10:30 service was still going. It was another great service; and the sermon, given by one of the associate pastors, talked about our worth to God. After the service I didn't have the same type of exploration goals like I've had the past several weeks, so I decided to explore more of the downtown shopping region near Union Square.

I was very happy to find a Jack in the Box for lunch (I hadn't eaten there since last July).
Aquatic Park
And after I ate I watched a very cool acrobatic performance in Union Square. I then wondered through the area and did some shopping, eventually ending up at a BART station and heading home. Since it was still early evening, and all my roommates were still gone, I decided to try and find the local Target since I hadn't been there yet. I rode my roommate's bike the 3.5 miles and got to see the Berkeley Aquatic Park on the way. Some really pretty views and another relaxing, but good exercise, trip.

Today was pretty standard, but we started talking about our department's move at the end of the week. The people on my team are currently spread out around the west half of the main building. But we are all getting moved to another location a couple blocks away that has been recently re-finished inside for us. I am pretty lucky and get my own cubicle! I'm excited and I'll let you know how the new space is next week.

Tomorrow I'm doing something very different...I'm going to a baseball game! I'm actually semi-organizing a trip for any interns that want to go to watch the Oakland Athletics play the Seattle Mariners. I'm very excited since it's only my second professional sporting event and I'm finally getting to see the Mariners play (something I've wanted to do since I was about 5). So, hopefully I will have lots of pictures and a fun story to share.

Hopefully, this wasn't too winded. Have a great week.

2 comments:

Kendra Joy said...

Sounds like fun... and definitely not too "winded". :)

Michelle said...

Too bad the M's lost...sad! But that's awesome you got to go! I love Mariner's games!! So fun :)