Saturday, June 7, 2008

A fun day

So, being that this was my first Saturday in the Bay Area, I really wanted to get over to San Francisco. Fortunately that happen and I have pictures to share. I've updated the picture album that is linked on the right side with some of the better pictures I took today. The day started with me heading to Pixar and swimming in their Olympic size pool for a while. It was nice exercise and relaxing at the same time. I then showered in the locker rooms and stopped by the just opened updated Pixar store and purchased some Pixar clothing (including an awesome 'track jacket').

Once I walked back to the apartment I relaxed for a while and then headed out to San Francisco on the public transit train with my roommate Jeremy. We got off at the Embarcadero Station and walked all the way up the waterfront through and past Pier 39. Then we took off up the northern hill I'll San Francisco called Russian Hill. It had some great views of the city, the bay, and the bridges. We found ourselves at the top of the famous Lombard St and continue to just walk through the neighborhood. We finally came to a peaceful cul-de-sac atop the hill that had an amazing view to the northeast and to the east. We headed down the hill towards Chinatown just to see what it was like then zig-zagged back towards the station we got off at. All in all we walked about 5 miles over the course of 3 or 4 hours. It was awesome to create our own tour and to get the exercise of hiking up a large hill.


Once we were back in Emeryville we decided to just walk from the train station back to our apartment which was another 2.5 miles. Then I decided to relax in the hot tub, and also went for another short swim. So, I think I met my exercise quota for the day and had a lot of fun doing it. I've included some of the pictures in this post, but feel free to check the rest out too.

I'm still very excited to start in my department on Tuesday. I will write more once that happens (if not sooner).

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I know...how did I not know you had a blog!? :) Well your mom was showing everyone pictures and I realized we were looking at your blog, so decided I needed to let you know I have joined this blogging world :) Sounds like you had a great day in San Fran! That city is so fun!